We bring real food to the beach.

Yes we do!!! If you know my family well then you should know that we always go all out with food in family gatherings and the beach was no exception. We went to Dockweiler beach in Playa Del Rey, Ca on July 5th to celebrate 4th of July. I know its one day late but it was was the only day where everyone was free. We chose Dockweiler because theres an open fire pit all available for the public to use. You can use it to grill food or make a bonfre. I don't know any beaches around Los Angeles that has those. Just cover your ears every 30 minutes because it gets pretty loud since its close to LAX and you're going to see and hear airplanes pass over your head. It was kinda annoying ugh!

Anyway, other families at the beach were eating sandwiches, chips, hotdogs and grilling burgers while we had a feast of Pork Spare Ribs, Grilled Tilapia, Shrimps, Squid, Chicken, Beef Hotdogs, Corn, a huge pot of Visayan Adobo and many more. It was a lot of food and all we did was relax, play in the water, eat then do it all over again. It was the best!

Grilled Oscar Meyer Weiner on a stick for breakfast lol. The kids mainly devoured these and I ate 2 with lots of ketchup.
It was nice and toasted as you can see. It looks weird but its really good!




Grilled Tilapia. Aren't they huge? My mom slathered a generous amount of salt inside and outside the fish. Tilapia is a bland fish so we made sure it was seasoned well.

Grilled Egg Plant. We always have grilled egg plant to pair with Tilapia. Once its cooked, we peel the burnt skin and take the flesh and mix it with chopped tomatoes and onions. It's like a relish I guess.
My mom cooked this huge pot of Visayan Adobo (pic below) at home and we heated it on the grill. You've probably heard of the popular Filipino Adobo dish. Its usually a dark blackish brown color from the soy sauce right? Well this one is a different version of Adobo. Theres no soy sauce in it at all. Chicken and pork is fried first then cooked in the liquid of Anato seed (which gives it that yellowish-orangey color), vinegar, garlic, salt and lots of pepper. I actually prefer this than the other adobo with soy sauce.




Visayan Adobo.

My cousin's Roasted Pork Spare Ribs. She cooked it at home the night before so all we had to do was heat it on the grill. We paired it with this Barbecue sauce she bought at Bristol Farms. Ugh! I forgot the name and I forgot to take a picture. It was the best sauce I've had in a long time. (will edit this and will look for the name of the sauce)




We also had Grilled Corn on the Cob. I love my corn on the cob. It's sweet and very delicious.
Grilled Chicken and Squid. My other aunt brought these. I didn't get to taste the chicken but the squid was cooked perfectly. It was tender and there was a hint of sweetness to them. It was lightly seasoned with salt and cooked on the aluminum grill thinggy lol.(dunno what its called)
Of course we had to have Watermelons. I love watermelons and I can eat them anytime of the day. I know its all water and there is no nutrients in it but I don't care. They were sweet and delicious!

Grilled Shrimp. Oh man, I ate a lot of these with my cousin Josh. They were really good with the barbecue sauce I was talking about.

Its funny how my mom brought a bottle of fish sauce and Datu Puti vinegar just in case we run out of condiments lol. In my family, we use them as dipping sauce for pretty much anything.



Over all, it was a successful day at the beach. It was very relaxing, the sun was no where to be found  (yes!!!) and our food was really good. We had such a great time that we might do it again for either my aunt or my little niece's birthday that's coming up!!!

What is your favorite beach food?

1 comment

sugarBear said…
what's my favorite beach food? THAT! everything in your pics! OMG looks so good!