Tortang Alimango (Crab Pancake/Omelet)

To all my fellow Filipinos out there, if you know how to make "Tortang Giniling" then this Crab Pancake/Omelet will be an easy recipe. It's pretty much the same way to make Tortang Giniling but use real crab meat instead. This dish was really random and totally made up.  My family is really good at whipping up random food creation in the kitchen and the outcome is always delicious.

Tortang Giniling is a type of Omelet, Filipino style where in ground beef is satueed in potatoes, tomatoes, onions and garlic then beaten with eggs.

We had a lot of  crabs left over from my other aunt's party the night before. My aunt didn't want to let it go to waste so she made this dish. She peeled and cracked 4 huge crabs to get the meat out. 


I'm gonna share with you guys the recipe but its going to be a little rough. In my house we never measure anything when we cook unless were baking. We pretty much just eye ball everything.

What you need are :
  • raw eggs
  • fresh crab meat. If you don't have fresh crab meat on hand, you can buy it a the grocery store. Just don't use imitation crab meat.
  • minced garlic
  • chopped onion
  • chopped green onion for color.
  • chopped tomatoes
  • potato chopped in tiny pieces (optional)
  • Vegetable oil or Canola oil for frying.
  • salt
 I'm gonna try to explain how my aunt did it. Just kind'a wing it with me okay ^_^
  1. Heat frying pan with Vegetable oil.
  2. Sautee garlic, onion, potato and tomato until the tomato kind of melts ( these 4 things are the base for the torta/pancake/omelet, so its very important)
  3. Throw in the fresh Crab meat in the pan and salt it lightly. Let it cook for a few minutes then set it aside on a plate. Throw in the Green Onions on the plate.
  4. Beat some eggs in a bowl.
  5. Throw in the Crab mixture. 
  6. Add a little more Vegetable oil in the same frying pan.
  7. Scoop 2 spoonfuls of the mixture drop it in the pan like pancake batter.
  8. Cook it for a couple of minutes then flip it on the other side to cook. It should have a nice golden color.
  9. Once its cooked, place it on a plate with a paper towel to soak up excess oil.
  10. Repeat the same step until you finish the whole egg mixture and you're done!
It came out sooo delicious. The crab meat gave it a little sweetness. Initially I was just going to taste it but I ended up getting some steamed white rice to go with it and I ate a lot of it lol. I'll definitely make it myself in the future.


Can you see the Crab meat?

0 comments